Sunday, September 8, 2024

Who am I? - Poem 2 | Scientific Serenades |

 I’m simple; for me,

Multiplication and division mean the same.

Although no membrane around my brain,

I’ll drive you insane,

If I am not in the digestion game.

 

You guys know everything of me,

Like what will be my fate,

To how I mate!

 

My friend Gram, thinks I have a negative personality,

But trust me, I’m a tool so bright;

Unveiling secrets every day and night.

 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

 

Ans: Escherichia coli (E.coli)

Explanation:

E.coli is a very “simple” organism (= primitive prokaryote). 

In microbiology, division and multiplication both mean that there is a replication of the organism. 

It is prokaryotic, meaning it does not have a “membrane” around it’s genetic material called nucleoid (=brain). E.coli is present in our gut and is a part of the microbiota that help in digesting food. 

Since it is studied extensively by microbiologists, we know every dimension of its life to the extent-we can even control its mating. 

Hans Christian Gram was a scientist who developed “Gram” Staining that distinguishes bacteria based on presence/absence of an outer membrane. (=as outer membrane positive or “negative”)





No comments:

Post a Comment